Hello! Welcome to my blog gamers! I'll be sharing here some game recommendations, as well as journaling my experience starting from no game design experience and trying to get a game signed with a publisher. This will include things I learn, progress updates, goals etc.
However, first of all, I'd like to make a post introducing myself!
My name is Ryan, and I like games (hence the name of my blog and my socials). I grew up in a family that loved playing games. Both in my immediate and extended family, I have very early memories playing social deduction games (mafia), card games (spoons, pinochle), board games (Catan, Ticket to Ride), and party games (Time's Up, Scattergories, Catch Phrase), as well as party games organized by my aunt for large family gatherings. I also began playing Tabletop RPG's in 2014 (having begun playing very early in the release of 5th edition D&D).
After living in Ecuador for nearly 2 years and returning in March of 2020, I returned to a world fundamentally changed. People were more distant than ever, and because of that, many people craved connection more than ever too. As the world has gotten more digital, the number of board games being published has increased drastically. I'm far from a Luddite and I know technological advancements have brought a lot of good to the world, but I also think it is important to acknowledge the shift in the social landscape. Most socialization in the modern era happens virtually, which has left a large space for people to want reasons to meet together in person.
In the fall of 2020, I was one of those people looking for reasons to meet together. If I remember correctly, my first purchase was Wingspan, which I took to play with some friends and ended up having a blast. I think Wingspan really opened my eyes to what a board game could be. I spent a lot of money in my college years on board games (and still probably spend too much), but while I love the strategy, I love the thinking, and I love winning, more than anything I play games to be with the people I love.
Fast forward to today, I am married to the woman of my dreams, have 2 beautiful daughters, and still love playing games. I just attended my first GenCon and had a blast, and I can't wait to go back next year. My oldest daughter is also at a great age to start playing some simpler games, so I've been really enjoying getting to share my hobby with her.
As far as my goals here, I'm just hoping that documenting this side of myself will help others find a love for games too. I plan on posting on here once a week, while doing short videos on Instagram, Youtube, and Tik Tok daily and potentially longer Youtube videos as I see fit. Hopefully the content can be meaningful for someone out there!
-Ryan

No comments:
Post a Comment